Italian ChiliThere’s nothing like a good hearty chili. This Italian version gives a little twist that’s packed with cannellini beans, juicy fire roasted tomatoes, fresh garlic and spicy Italian sausage for a kick! It’s easy comfort food that also makes a great entertaining option. When you are menu planning for your next dinner or party consider this versatile recipe that you can make ahead of time. When done in advance the flavors get a chance to meld together even more and it’s one less thing you have to think about the day of the party. This Italian chili is also great if you have any leftovers (which I doubt) because it freezes and reheats really well. Another reason I love this recipe so much is I’m left with a fabulous open bottle of red wine that I just can’t let go to waste! Just bonus points to an already delicious recipe!
Disclaimer: Please note that FoodandCocktailScene.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. Some of the links on this page are affiliate links and I will earn a commission if you purchase through those links. I only recommend products that I have either personally used, think are really cool, or can be helpful.Print
Chili with an Italian twist that’s packed with cannellini beans, juicy fire roasted tomatoes, fresh garlic and spicy Italian sausage for a kick!
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 1 hour 15 minutes
- Total Time: 1 hour 30 minutes
- Yield: 8 Bowls 1x
- Category: Chilis & Soups
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: American
Here’s what’s in the Italian Chili:
- 1 pound Italian hot sausage
- 1 pound Italian mild sausage
- 2 cups diced white or yellow onion
- 10 chopped garlic cloves (more or less to your liking)
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) fire roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) chicken broth
- 5 cans (15 ounces) cannellini white kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 cup dry red wine
- Sea salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Dash of crushed red pepper (more or less to taste)
- Shredded parmesan cheese for garnish
- Garlic bread, Italian bread, or bread sticks to really make it a complete meal!
1. Chop garlic cloves and put aside for later.
2. In a large skillet combine Italian hot sausage with mild sausage and brown. When browned remove from heat and set aside for later use.
3. In a large dutch oven add olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Add diced onions and sauté for 3 minutes.
4. Add the chopped garlic and tomato paste and continue sautéing for 1 minute, stirring often.
5. Add dry red wine and stir for 1 minute while unsticking any small brown pieces from the bottom of the pot.
6. Add chicken broth and stir.
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Add a dash of crushed red pepper.
9. Add fire roasted diced tomatoes. Stir.
10. Add rinsed cannellini beans. Stir.
11. Bring to a boil on medium heat.
12. Add more salt and pepper to taste. I like things saltier. Some people love things hotter. If so you can add more red pepper flakes too.
13. Add browned Italian sausage.
14. Bring to a boil on medium heat again. Then cover, reduce temperature to low and let simmer for one hour.
15. Drink the rest of the open red wine!
16. I like to garnish the Italian chili with shredded parmesan cheese and serve it with garlic bread. Enjoy!
Keywords: Italian Chili, Chili, Chili Recipe, Chili Cookoff, Soups, Soup, Soups and stews, Fall Soups, Winter Soups, Sweater Weather Food