As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I may also earn an affiliate commission if you purchase something through recommended links in this article. Follow Us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, & Pinterest.
There’s nothing like a good hearty stew to warm the soul. This Italian Chili version is a savory twist on the homemade classic.
A soup packed with cannellini beans, juicy fire roasted tomatoes, fresh garlic, & spicy Italian sausage for a kick! Oh, did I mention it’s also made with Italian red wine? Easy comfort food that’s also a great entertaining option!
When menu planning for your next meal or party, consider this versatile recipe that can be made ahead of time. Cooked in advance the flavors really meld together, plus it’s one less thing you have to think about the day of your gathering!
This stew freezes and reheats really well making it wonderful leftover. And, as if I need another reason to love this chili, you’re also left with a fabulous open bottle of red wine that you can’t let go to waste! Just a bonus to an already delicious recipe!Print
A hearty Italian Chili packed with cannellini beans, juicy fire roasted tomatoes, red wine, fresh garlic, & spicy Italian sausage for a kick! Comfort food that warms the soul!
- 1 pound Italian hot sausage
- 1 pound Italian mild sausage
- 2 cups diced yellow onion
- 10 chopped garlic cloves
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- Two 14.5 ounce cans fire roasted diced tomatoes
- One 14.5 ounce can chicken broth
- Five 15 ounce cans cannellini white kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 cup dry red wine
- Sea salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Dash of crushed red pepper
- Garnish: shredded parmesan cheese
- Garlic bread, Italian bread, or bread sticks to really make it a complete meal!
1. Chop garlic cloves and put aside for later.
2. In a large skillet combine Italian hot sausage with mild sausage and brown. When browned remove from heat and set aside for later use.
3. In a large dutch oven add olive oil to coat the bottom of the pan. Add diced onions and sauté for 3 minutes.
4. Add the chopped garlic and tomato paste and continue sautéing for 1 minute, stirring often.
5. Add dry red wine and stir for 1 minute while unsticking any small brown pieces from the bottom of the pot.
6. Add chicken broth and stir.
7. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
8. Add a dash of crushed red pepper.
9. Add fire roasted diced tomatoes. Stir.
10. Add rinsed cannellini beans. Stir.
11. Bring to a boil on medium heat.
12. Add more salt and pepper to taste. I like things saltier. Some people love things hotter. If so you can add more red pepper flakes too.
13. Add browned Italian sausage.
14. Bring to a boil on medium heat again. Then cover, reduce temperature to low and let simmer for one hour.
15. Drink the rest of the open red wine!
16. I like to garnish the Italian chili with shredded parmesan cheese and serve it with garlic bread. Enjoy!
Keywords: Italian Chili, Chili, Italian Chili Soup, Homemade Chili, Chili Recipe, Chili Cookoff, The Best Chili, Hearty Italian Chili, Soups, Soup, Stews, Soups and Stews, Sweet Italian Chili, Italian Sausage Chili, Fall Soups, Winter Soups, Sweater Weather Food