Spectacular homemade grapefruit simple syrup made with grapefruit zest, fresh grapefruit juice, & sugar.
The sweet aroma will remind you of a grapefruit pie. It’s the love put into this sugar syrup that makes this craft cocktail so damn delish!
- 4 large pink or red grapefruits
- 4 TBSP grapefruit zest
- 2 cups superfine sugar
- 2 cups freshly-squeezed pink or red grapefruit juice
- To start wash and dry the grapefruits before zesting.
- Then zest 4 grapefruits, which should yield at least 4 TBSP grapefruit zest.
- Combine the 4 TBSP grapefruit zest and 2 cups superfine sugar in a bowl and stir.
- Then use a fork to press the zest and sugar together until the sugar gets clumpy.
- Juice the 4 grapefruits you just zested. I prefer to use an electric juicer for this task. This should yield 2 cups of fresh grapefruit juice. If needed strain the juice to remove seeds and pulp.
- In a saucepan, combine the grapefruit sugar and fresh squeezed grapefruit juice. Stir to mix.
- Bring to a boil over medium high heat, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow cooked syrup to cool.
- Then use a sieve to strain syrup getting rid of the solid grapefruit zest.
- Store syrup in the refrigerator until ready to use. This simple syrup will keep for up to one week.
When making simple syrup use superfine sugar instead of granulated. Superfine sugar will dissolve faster and produce a sweeter syrup.
Keywords: Grapefruit Simple Syrup, Grapefruit Sugar Syrup, Grapefruit Syrup, Simple Syrup